The scripture passage (especially when you add the verses 46-50 right before) are about the demands of following Jesus:
- We have to give up our old ideas about greatness and power (46-48)
- We have to give up the idea that being 'one of us' is a requirement for following-Jesus points to the idea that there may be a whole boatload of folks doing His will that we know nothing about, or who aren't part of our 'group' (49-50)
- We have to give up our ideas about revenge and judgment toward those who don't accept us (51-56)
- We have to give up some of the things that give us security (57-58)
- Even the good demands of society may need to take a back seat to the claims of Jesus (59-60)
- We have to commit to moving forward....the past needs to become the past. We've put our hand to the plow, and looking back just messes up the straight line we're trying to plow in. We keep our eyes ahead; on the kingdom, on the cross, on Jesus as we follow Him up the road.
This is the kind of Jesus I see these young people wanting to follow; one who calls them out into the world to serve, who makes demands for commitment, who challenges them to reach beyond their comfort zone. At least this is what I saw this past week....and it warmed my heart.
We'll talk about it more on Sunday. Hope to see you then.